Industry Pricing for 3-P Carbonless Forms

Thanks to those printers who participated in our special 3-day mini-survey for pricing for 3-part carbonless forms. A total of 68 firms (after eliminating two outliers) submitted their surveys by the Wednesday midnight deadline.

SEE END OF ARTICLE FOR NEW CHARTS & DATA added 11/5/21 at 12:30 P.M.

Below is a summary of our data. See histograms at the end of this email. Specifications asked prices for 3-P carbonless, 1-S, 8.5 x 11″, padded, black ink or toner. The survey also asked for any additional charge for number these forms. See data below.

* The prices below are within 5-7% of those reported in the most recent 2021 NPRC Digital Pricing Survey

                               500-3-P Forms         1M 3-P Forms

Average Price               $214.92                        $369.63
Median Price                $208.99                       $345.17

High Price                    $380.00                       $675.00
Low Price                     $134.05                         $205.00

78.3% of respondents indicated these forms would be produced digitally, while 21.7% said they would produce using offset.

* We plant conduct some additional sorts in the next couple of days to determine the average and median price for numbering for jobs produced digitally vs. those produced via offset.

                                 # Chg 500 3-P      # Chg 1M 3-P

Average Price                $36.50                     $50.95
Median Price                $35.00                     $51.00

High Price                    $72.00                      $95.00
Low Price                     $15.00                      $15.00

Approximately 84% of respondents said that the job could easily be produced and ready with the requested parameters – brought in Monday AM with a requested delivery for Thursday AM. The remaining 16% said they though the delivery schedule would be tight but doable.

Histograms, especially those prepared within Excel, are not the easiest or most intuitive to read and understand. The percent above each bar represents the number of respondents who provided and answer falling between the prior bar/price and up to but not including the current price or range. Both graphs (excluding the “more” in the second graph) come very close to depicting a general or standard deviation chart with approximately 68% of all responses falling within +/- one standard deviation of the average.

We will be posting much of this email on the NPRC site and we are thinking of displaying the raw data for folks to inspect. Some readers will look at the data and shake their heads saying something like, “I can’t believe folks would be charging prices this low”, while others will respond with, “I can’t believe folks charge prices that high… they must be ripping-off customers.”

Following the initial release of pricing data gathered for the above-mentioned survey, we conducted a couple of additional sorts and analyses. We separated data by method of product as indicated by our survey respondents. Even though the two production methods are distinctly different from a costing and production standpoint, the pricing for the products or services is surprisingly close, especially in terms of average prices. Note too the amazing similarity in pricing for number of carbonless forms.


Tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.